Wednesday, October 10, 2007

European Adventure - Day 13

Catherine left at crack of dawn, I think. But we didn't notice cause we all got up pretty late.

We went to the Colosseum today for starters. It was almost noon when we got there, so we weren't in the best position Line-wise, so when I heard about a 'tour' going on, I strongly urged the others to participate, and they did so begrudgingly, but it saved us at least an hour in line.

From there we followed another tour around the Palatine Hill, its where the emperors private estate was. The tour was led by some architecture student in Rome, so yes, we bonded. After a very informative tour, and a long wait in the heat of the day, we also walked through the Forum. I had seen it all before so I wasn't as interested, but there were a lot of building chunks laying randomly on the ground.

Our hunger took us to a nearby restaurant, which was the very same place that Eric recommended to me right before we left America. It was OK, but Good for I-talian food. We all got pizza's. I got something normal, and the other two got a creation with cheese, zucchini blossoms, and tuna on it. Not my most favorite pizza in the world, Papa John's still has my heart there. We topped lunch off with a king sized Gelato of exotic flavors. I then forced the guys to go with me to the Piazza del Campidoglio, which was designed by Michaelangelo. I really wanted to go into the museum there, and did so as the others rested outside in the piazza and enjoyed the entertainment of a wedding party wandering nearby. The museum didn't have all that I
was expecting so I made it a short trip.

We then wandered for a while and ended up at the Piazza Navona. It is a large plaza that takes the shape of an old Roman Circus. It was filled with street performers and artists work and cafe's galore. I loved this place. I shopped for watercolor paintings for at least an hour before the others told me that it was time to go find food. I reluctantly went with. We found the local favorite. It wasn't to bad. It helped us recover from a mediocre lunch. After words we wandered some more, but I went back to Piazza Navona to get more art for Brothers Wife. (How awkward would it be if I forgot to get something for them?!) So while the others rested some more, I fluttered around this plaza comparing and analyzing art. I could have stayed for a
while but the shops were closing and the others pretty much forced me to leave. So then we went Tie shopping. I had to stalk up on my I-talian tie collection after all.

Each time we would wander around we would pass the Pantheon. It was another awesome building. From the outside its not much, but you get close and realize how massive it is, then go inside and then you will be utterly amazed. It was a touristy place so there were Africans selling purses, and sunglasses. What made this place memorable was some annoying blond American high-school chick who went up to each salesman and informed them that she would spend 5 Euro on a purse, then ask them which one she could have for that price. They all just ignored her, which made her mad. This happened at least three times, once at each purse vendor. By the end she was forced to march over to her friends with no purse and tell them all that they
were cheap rip-off's anyway. I enjoyed this scene.

Every few days instead of washing clothes, I'd just throw them away. I did double up on t-shirts, and I did have 1 pair of shorts and 1 pants the whole time, but underwear and socks were destroyed after a single use. This made it easier to travel in a back pack, and it continually made room for the good that I had purchased.

I hope you all understand what I mean when I create my own words or phrases, and that When I write I-talian, you are supposed to read it like "EYE-tal-Yen", just like I say it:)

No comments: