Monday, October 8, 2007

European Adventure - Day 11

We woke up pretty late today, big surprise, I know. It was around 11am and check-out was by 12. Ryan felt it was his day's mission to go for a swim, so Jeff and I just hiked around so I could get a few last postcard-picture. As we went back to the small beach area to pick Ryan up, we found him strutting his 'stuff' amongst all the bikini-babes (they were out in force!) As we waited I had to try out my 'magnetic Jeff' experiment. Every time I would move more than 5 feet, Jeff would wander over next to me. Then I zig-zag back to where I was, and sure enough, he's right there. This went on for a good 20 minutes while we were waiting for Plewe to finish radiating his 'MOJO' to the locals.

On the train transfers from Vernazza to Rome we almost lost Ryan. We were waiting in a small city named La Spezia at the train station when he went to a kiosk to get info about a phone card that he bought two days ago. But one of the 10 people in the country who didn't speak English was working there at the time. Luckily, standing right next to him in line was one of the sassiest model-esque looking Italian girls who happened to speak English and was nice AND helpful. So she stepped in to mediate Ryan's technical telephone questions. After she started speaking he lost track of his question and started to drool. Even after the exchange, Ryan just stood their staring at where she once stood. I had to shake him to get his attention, then even talk him out of trying to propose to her. Sure she was beautiful, but come on Ryan. The temperature is considerably warmer than it has been in the other countries.

It was a big relief to finally arrive in Rome. The train ride was crappy. We had reserved seats, but mistakenly in a smoking section, so we found other seats; but with lots of stops we had to move around for all the other people a lot. We eventually all found seats scattered throughout the train. As we got off the train a bunch of weirdo's would dodge Jeff and his roller suitcase, just to offer Plewe and myself , with our backpacks, places at Hostels. It was kind of funny, cause Jeff didn't understand why they didn't want to talk to him.

As we made the journey to find our hotel it got quite interesting. Jeff had thoroughly studied his 'Rick Steves Bible' and (again) thought he knew exactly how to get there, so when I asked where it was, or how to get there, Jeff just assured me its around the next corner, then the next, then that one, oh- wait, we're lost all of a sudden (all while the book lay snuggly in the bottom of his back). Luckily I had a map and correctly redirected us.

I was grumpy for some reason at this point, as we walked. As they led the way, it was at half speed for some reason, unless I was in front leading the charge. originally when we got to Rome, I was going to let/ make them lead the way. But every 20 minutes that plan failed, as I simply can NOT walk that slow.

So we found the hotel and I was the first up the stairs to check in. As I start to do that I see this cute little Red-Head pop her head around the corner, with a bright red face. It was Catherine Cook. She came up to us and meekly said "um, before you check in, can I talk to you guys?" I immediately think the worst. The other two are led around the corner from whence she came for a short discussion. I stood in place still fearing the possible story she was telling the others. I slowly staggered over and it turned out to be nothing. She was kicked out of her hostel, so she had no where else to go, so she changed our reservation from 3 to 4 people. It was no big deal, cause we had already invited her to stay with us. So we had a slumber party.

So after we all settled down and settled into our room, we went to find some place to eat. Jeff and Cat had obviously consorted about this before because R.S. told everyone in his books to eat at only the places he tells you about, so Jeff and Cat follow his orders like mice. I was simply annoyed that they were following R.S.'s suggestions like mindless sheep. But it was their deal so they were to lead the way. I simply hung out 10 yards back, with Ryan, but I couldn't find it in my heart to put my map away, so I'd still bark out corrections from the back seat. When we got their, there was an hour wait to eat outside, so I informed everyone that we would be eating inside that night. So they immediately sat us down. It was an OK place. No menu cause they only serve 1 thing per night. I don't even remember what our 5 course was were. Typical weird Italian stuff: mozzarella & tomatoes, Lintel beans, weird thin raw meat strips, Gnocchi, and carbonated water. Small portions, no special taste, and it cost us 23 Euro per person! Only one employee spoke English too. One chick laughed at Jeff as he tried to ask a question, and the little old gypsy lady running the joint tried to steal 20 Euro from Jeff! How dare she! That little gypsy thief. We, as well as a lot of others had to wait 20-30 min for our bill after asking for it twice. I was pissed, while the others thought it was all OK> Well, I'm not OK with being crapped on. As we walked away I was threatening to write nasty letters to R.S., the Italian government, and the chamber of commerce. It was honestly the worst food I had over the whole trip. Worst experience overall too.

I had to quickly wash down my anger with gelato. Not only was I mad at R.S., the crazy thieving gypsy lady, and the poor quality of food, I was also mad at the others for liking it so much. (honestly Jeff was going for quantity, rather than quality, and he would have liked anything, as long as it wasn't the place from last night.

After the trek to find that place, we were already in the middle of no where, so it was another journey to get anywhere else. At this point Cat had already been in Rome for 2-3 days, so we kind of had to work around HER schedule (what she'd already seen). But this night it worked out to go to the Trevi Fountain.

Its a super cool, extra large Baroque style fountain that takes up most of a public plaza. there were also a lot of people there apparently its a big thing to throw/waste money in this fountain over your shoulder. I strongly objected to performing such an act, so I didn't not participate, even after the others tried to give me money to throw.

Next we went to the Spanish steps. It too had lots of people there. Mostly just loitering locals. One nice thing there was that the fountain at the base of the steps was very drinkable. All the fountains were like that actually. Very nice. As we were hiking to the top I over heard some German kid scream out in pain, It looked like he broke his leg. After 10 minutes of hanging out at the top of the steps we noticed the ambulance drove up to confirm my story/translation.

From there we set out to go home. It was a good distance but there were lots of churches and other cool buildings to see along the way. We got home pretty late.

One thing that I really noticed at this hotel was how much Ryan liked walking in on me when I was in the shower. Sure I shower in the evening, and for a long time, but no matter when it was, he found the chance to barge in on me. I think he was trying to 'sneak a peek' at the goods, if you know what I mean. Italy must change people cause this happened in every city in Italy.

No comments: