Tuesday, October 9, 2007

European Adventure - Day 12

The typical breakfast consisted of Crossaunts, toast and jam, fruit cocktail, cornflakes, yogurt, Milk, or Hot chocolate as options It was usually enough to keep us going well into the 'lunch o'clock' hour.

After breakfasting ourselves, we went to a kiosk in the train station to buy a Rome Pass which let us ride the subway and buses, as well as gave us hefty discounts to all sites and visitable museums.

Our first stop was the Vatican. We wanted to be there by 9, but got there around 9:30 (thanks 'extra long breakfasters') and the line was already at least 1-2 hours long. As we exited the metro I noticed the already long line, so Ryan and I made a dash for the presumed last current place in line. Jeff got upset cause it wasn't the correct way to the entrance. As Ryan and I ran out of sight I yelled "then go that way, then we'll see you at the back of the line". I think they went his way, cause it was 20 minutes or so before they showed up at our spot in line. Oh ya, and the museum opens at 10 am, 30 minutes from now.

It wasn't long before some I-talian character in a safari vest approached us and asked if we wanted to join his tour group, thus skipping the whole 'line' thing. Now, cause Jeremy and Eric did this mere weeks before and loved it, and recommended the same to my comrades to do the same. Jeff didn't seem to want to, but after Safari-Dude took us from the 90 min wait mark to the 10 min wait mark, I was thrilled and it only cost us 25 Euro. And Get this... Our tour guides name was Luigi, and his buddies name was Pepe. We felt it necessary to call out his name every 2 minutes to ask some random question and yes we said his name with the thickest fake I-talian accent what we could muster.

The tour was alright, I wandered around and only listened to him half the time due to his thick accent. He ended his tour as we went into the Sistine Chapel. Lots of people there and Every single one of them (us) was taking pictures! despite the signs they had every where, as well as 6 guards posted around the room, also telling everyone to be quiet every two minutes. After a while we left to go back to the museum artifacts area. Well I thought we did anyway. Jeff and I were walking for a while before I realized that were down two people. Ry-guy, and Cat. We waited in place for 2 min before I volunteered to go search for them It took the whole 10 minute walk before I found them all the way back at the very place where I thought we had decided it was time to leave, in the Sistine Chapel. At first I was confused at their lack of following us, and when I listened to what they were talking about I was down right mad. They were trying to discuss what Catholics believe and why. The same irrational topic we've already discussed 10 times this trip. How, ... why would you spend Jim's valuable time talking about something you really know nothing about, and you've already beaten the topic dead in my opinion, proving that you know nothing about their beliefs and are unqualified to talk about! But no, they were lost in conversation.

I eventually pressured them into leaving and we got some pizza in the cafeteria. One thing is for sure, the food in the cafeteria of the Church Office Building is much better. We found our way over to St. Peters Basilica. Its the largest building I've ever been in thats for sure. Tons of dramatic sculptures, Mosaics, dead saints, and stuff like that. We even looked at the tomb of where the apostle Peter was supposed to be buried. The whole building is absolutely massive, and impressive. While wandering around we ran into the group of 'French Canadians' who were on the tour with us. The guy looked exactly like Henry Winkler (The Fonz - from Happy Days). It was interesting talking with them. Throughout our conversation they would recommend places to eat or drink, and we told 'Henry' that we don't go for wine, or coffee, or his favorite espresso. So he exclaimed " what, are you Mormon?" So we were like, "up, actually yes, we are." So then we(he) talked religion, throwing his points of view in as fact here and there. Luckily they had to go, cause I was really done with listening to him ramble on and on with Ryan about what Catholics believed. Oh Ya, Henry Winkler's daughter wanted me. She kept asking me questions about California, and if I needed a new roommate. I had to let her down, cause I'm not really into 'half French, half Canadian, half Italian girls'.

We then went up to the Dome. Of course we had to pay more for it, which was again annoying, and even more annoying was only after I hiked up all those stairs is when I found out that I payed more than everyone else! I payed twice as much as they did. I somehow felt like I was funding terrorism, and didn't know if I had the guts to confront the demons who have stolen from me. Ryan said that he had my back, if needed, but I wasn't sure what kind of which craft they had at their disposal, so I just let them have my 3 extra Euro's. I was belligerently pissed and maybe said some things I shouldn't have. It was the old Jim though. At that time I was at the height of my Euro-sickness so it only made sense to blow my nose everywhere possible (I'm referring to a 'farmer blow', or a 'snot rocket') So while on the roof of St Peters I cleared my nostrils out as much as necessary for my breath-ability, and revenge for over payment.

Baths of Diocletian, then Caracalla: On our way to these Bath Ruins, Ryan ran into some other Americans. He was trilled as could be. He practically invited them to move in with us on the spot. They were coincidentally going to the same spot that we were, so Ryan bid them come with. Now Jeff and I knew that we didn't want to hold hands with these three new additions to our group, so we, leading the way, briskly walked toward there we thought the Ruins were. As we got to the gate, the time must have been 5:59 and 30 seconds, cause the second that Jeff and I walk through the gate, the angry I-talian Mobster Gate man slams the gate closed pretty hard. He must have remembered that we kicked their asses in the war, cause he was that angry. Jeff and I got our tickets, and then the others show up Only to be warded off by the angry Mussolini-like Gatekeeper. Jeff and I yell while walking away "Don't worry, we'll take some good pictures for you." As I secretly grinned reaping the rewards of a decent walking pace with the admittance to this extraordinary site. We do the quick tour, lasting only 5 minutes, I snapping pictures on the run practically.

Hunger was setting in so our next move was to find food. R.S. had somewhere in mind, so we found a quaint little place to enjoy our food with Ryan's three new boyfriends. Don't worry Mom, I was nice to them even though they were 'different' than me. The food was good, Better than 'Mama Esmeralda' from last night. After Dinner I went home to put shoes on. My feet were angry with me. By night, they were charbroiled black on bottoms and sides.

Ryan didn't want to say good night to his new friends so early, so we all wandered down to the Colosseum to take pictures and eat Gelato. As I was staring into the darkened Colosseum some strange Gypsy lady floated towards me. I jumped a foot as she startled me. I immediately covered my pockets and ran away. Ryan actually had my back and was watching the situation from 30 yards back. As I ran away, he laughed at my fright. But this lady only moved with the shadows, and didn't seem to have any feet, she just floated around like one of the Dementors like on Harry Potter.

Ryan kept barging in on me in the shower again. Silly Ryan. He just can't stay away.

No comments: