Tuesday, September 25, 2007

European Adventure - Day 2

So we had to get up super freaking early today cause Jeff wanted the earliest train out of town possible. Come on Jeff, its supposed to be a vacation! We caught the 'Eurostar' from London to Paris. The tickets for that train ride were a lot more than we expected. A lot more. (Sorry guys thats my mistake, I didn't think it would be like that, my bad.)

As soon as we got off the train in Paris, 'French-Jeff' took over. He took the time to read every French sign as closely as possible. He was loving it. And, like I've noticed before he really likes to stop suddenly, and at random places, all the time. But we coordinated and led ourselves to our Hotel, via the Metro. It was a quaint little place close to all the action of Paris, with a metro stop right at the mouth of our street. I was determined to get right to business: First Destination- Eiffel Tower. You can't get more 'Paris' than that, right. As we set out our stomachs decided to change our minds. Luckily there was a bakery a block away from our
place. It was there where I decided to go Frenchie all the way, so I bought a baguette and just tucked it in my book bag to tow around with me for the trip. On the way to the Tower we first stopped by the Paris Opera House. I had a teacher in school who would talk this place up, so it was a must see. Super ornate and clever design, the best architectural example from the once famous 'Ecole des Beaux-Artes', (translation= it means The fancy type of architecture).

Next Jeff decided we needed to stop by the super large department store across the street. With our metro pass they gave us a coupon for a 'Free Gift' from this store, and according to French-Jeff, it was a must have. Turns out this Free Gift was a coupon for a mere 10% off something from that store. Joy. As we left the store we had our first run in with Gypsies. Luckily Jeff and I took the time to sit Ryan down and educate him as to the ways of people outside of Utah. So when some little sorry looking girl came up and asked if he spoke English, he just started laughing and then called us over, then pointed and laughed some more. So Jeff and I ran over and scared the gypsy kid and her black magic away.

There were a lot of people in line for the Eiffel tower. But no one in line to take the stairs up. I originally was against that, but it saved us about an hour of wait time in line. We hiked up all 668 steps to the second , and then third level, then from there we had to take the elevator up to the very top. This whole time I was parading around wearing my new beret, thats right, I bought a beret at the store we stopped at. So I was Frenching-it-up with my beret and swinging my baguette around like a magic wand. Most other True Parisians were doing the same. Plewe at his best was making all sorts of new friends in the elevator line to the top. Including
some Germans which he volunteered me to speak with as well.

By the time we got down the tower the sun was going down, so we wandered around until we found a suitable street cafe to eat at. We found a lovely little place with a fun view of the city, and let French-Jeff order for us. Those frenchies sure like their creative mixtures of food. You can't just get a salad, it has to have raw salmon on top, and the 'normal' 'goat cheese and tomato' needs to be served on top of a paistry. French-Jeff was loving every savory bite of everything he ate and then when he came up for air, would exclaim how good it was, then give us three
reasons why it was better there than back in America. His talk almost became Treasonous, so Ryan and I had to keep him in check. Ryan just liked being able to drink water out of a wine glass. Its the simple things that he loves. Oh ya, and he 'loves' everything.

From there we walked back to the glistening tower of light, boldly sticking out of the skyline

Across the way from the tower there is this look out point where lots of people were taking pictures, including two model looking girls. Well, at least they thought they were models with how they were seductively posing for each others snapshots, all sassy like. I tried to get Ryan to be one of the many guys who would go up to them to offer his photographic services. But he was to chicken.

Next on the list was the Arc de Triumph. the massive monument in all of its Grandeur sat comfortably at the end point of the popular Champ Elysées. We took a handful of shots before we left. I'll be honest though, monuments don't like working with my camera very much typically, but tonight, it was working great, even magically well. I didn't have to get the monuments, or buildings to work with me as much as I do normally.

I don't know if its the food, or the time change, or what, but my 'bathroom-break' schedule has really been thrown off. One [clean] example is when we were walking down the Champ Elysées I all of a sudden 'had to go'. luckily with a few steps we found a McDonald's to use, but when my body calls, I have to listen.

To this point we've only heard 1 person playing an accordion, and that was in a subway. Then other musical talents have included a violin outside the Louvre, and a weird mixture of African tribal/mid-eastern music with bucket drums and a snake charming horn.

Also having to go through Bag Check security check points with a Baguette wrapped in a French beret was funny. I wasn't sure if they would let me through into there 'sensitive' areas with a loaf of bread, but when they questioned me about it, it was always "Do you have any cheese for that?", or "where is the wine?" (or something to that effect) as they rubbed their hands together licking their lips and blankly staring at my baguette and not me. I wasn't sure if it was me they were trying to flirt with, or my baguette! It was kind of like showing a little kid a toy of
mickey mouse; they immediately wanted it, and wanted to know what else they could get to go with it. Good ol Baguettes.

We had crepes for dinner. It was a great opening day in French-land.

No comments: